FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you behave in another religion's place of worship?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:12 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by rkt10
Some years ago I attended a funeral for a co-worker's mother, who was Jewish. I participated as much as I could... meaning I followed the congregations example during the prayers. Nothing was more moving than the reading about the Valiant Woman, especially since this woman was in her early 50s and had died after a 3-year battle with cancer. Valiant indeed.

Anyway, I didn't feel as if I were betraying any of my own Catholic religion, since my sole purpose, and the purpose of the congregation seemed to be to pray to God for the deceased.

It was actually a beautiful service and I was grateful to have been there.
Rita

This will not be the case with ALL the other Religions. Its very possible that there will be things done or said or inferred in the Service that is Not acceptable to the other persons Religion, although it might be acceptable to them personally or not bother them personally.

I can only think that a Muslim, Jew, Buddist etc will not look favorably to directing the prayers Except to G-D. Which is not the case, when it comes to any Branch of Chirstianity. It worked for you since it was being directed straight to G-D , and no one or thing that would be looked upon Unfavorably by your Religion.

all too often we assume that that which is taught must be the only way. Many things that are acceptable or done in the Western World is based on the teachings of Christianity and not everyone is a Christian, and thusly shouldnt be expected to act or think like one.

I dont want a separation of Religion and State, NOR do I want it being Mandatory for anyone who isnt a Christian to have to sing in a Schools Christmas Show or be penalized for not doing so, the child/ren arent Believers in that Religion dont try to make them be. If a child is forced to otherwise the others will keep them at bay, something is then wrong with the underlining Educational Thought process.

If Im asked to do something that is contrary to my Religious Beliefs , I will REFUSE to do so, and would rather walk out and NOT be apart of whatever it is that is taking place.

As another Poster put it, its not the time to learn about another Religion during the Time of their Services. Visit when its over, if you cant attend due to your Religious Beliefs simply explain that to the Parties that are involved, they should understand, after all its them who Chose for whatever reason to have the Event in a House of Worship, rather than a Neutral Venue.

"When in Rome, do as the ROMANS" is NOT a Jewish saying or Belief although Individual Jews might think it is.

Last edited by craz; Dec 29, 2005 at 5:50 pm