FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak discounts
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:51 pm
NovaEngr

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
This is only half-true. While the Downeaster is supported entirely by state sources, the Capitols and other California Corridors receive a portion of their operating support from Amtrak. Amtrak funds a small amount of the round-trips on these lines. I suspect there are other state-supported corridors where this is also the case.

Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Authority Managing Director (and NARP Director) Gene Skoropowski sent a scathing e-mail to rail supporters after the appropriation was passed adamantly asserting that the language would very much force the Capitols to raise their monthly pass and other fares by untenable amounts, and end the highly popular school field trip discount program. I don't have the e-mail, but it was reposted to other forums. Perhaps AlanB has a copy of it.

Incidentally, Mr Skoropowski is the recipient of this year's Railway Age W. Graham Claytor Award for Distinguished Service to Passenger Transportation. He knows what he's talking about, and when he talks, people listen.
You are correct that the Pacific Surfliner is partially Amtrak funded, but the Capitol Corridor is a 100% state funded service. Mr Skoropowski is well aware of that. After making his statement that the 50% limitation might apply to the Capitol Corridor (if a VERY weird definition of federal support is applied), he went on to say:
I guess that all 'contract services' such as in Maine, the Pacific Northwest, California, and elsewhere that have 'discounted multi-ride tickets', will be impacted, unless the 'subsidy' payment made to Amtrak by these contracting entities is considered as 'revenue' to Amtrak, thereby offsetting any ticket revenue not equalling 50% of the cost of full fare tickets (I will make the case strongly that we are 'exempt' because we are contract service and we pay Amtrak the difference between the fares collected and the cost of service. Our service should be 'revenue neutral' to Amtrak, regardless of what our fare structure is).
(emphasis mine)
Mr Skoropowski's final analysis, although less sensational than his initial warning, is correct. The Capitol Corridor and other fully state-funded services are not covered by the maximum discount limitation.

Last edited by NovaEngr; Dec 27, 2005 at 6:00 pm