FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Osaka Itami Ground Transportation?
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:47 am
jib71

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
How easy is it to buy tickets for the trains vs. buses, and how much of it supplied in English? When I've traveled abroad, I've normally visited countries where I could at least make out some words on signs and struggle my way through ordering/buying things

Are there automated ticket machines that (cross my fingers) have multi-language menus for example? That would be easiest, i suppose. What do you recommend?
Plenty of foreigners manage to get around - All of the signs in railway stations and airports are in Japanese and English. Railway station platforms show the name of the station in English. (and the name of the next station in English too). Also, most people here are very helpful. Not many people speak great English, but you will never meet hostility when asking for directions or help.

For the bus from Itami airport - I don't know if you purchase in advance or pay on the bus. (I suspect the latter). You can find an information counter in the arrivals hall if you want to ask. (I think I'd go straight to the bus stop and see for myself). One thing is for sure - you need cash for your ticket.

For the train to KIX, you might ask the concierge at your hotel to help you. Alternatively, go to the ticket office at the station - dealing with a human being is probably easier than learning the machines for a first time visitor.
Writing things down (in English) can often help in case someone just cannot understand the way that you're pronouncing a Japanese place name or something - "KANSAI AIRPORT"

choice of the Westin, Swisshotel or the Hilton
Forget the Westin - location is less convenient than the other two.

Which would have quickest access the following morning to KIX (assuming I don't take the airport limousine bus) and which would still be easy to get to the night before?
Swisshotel has quicker access to KIX (only 15/20 min difference)

Hilton is probably easier to reach on the evening of arrival. (marginally)

The bus journey time to Umeda is not much different - but the bus drops you right across the road from the Hilton - whereas if you take the bus to Namba, then you have a short walk from the bus stop to Swisshotel.

Hilton is the 5* hotel - compared with Swisshotel 3*

I have never seen the Swisshotel, but I stayed once at the Hilton - I only remember a nice swimming pool in the hotel itself and good bars and restaurants in the area. Room was fine. Not so special. Breakfast buffet OK.

get out and walk a bit, get some air, take in the sights, and maybe grab a quick late dinner. Which area would be good for that? Is there one of these hotels that would fit my needs the best?
Both hotels are well placed for that.