FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9-10 hours / layover in KIX (Osaka) (merged threads)
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:27 pm
mosburger

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by MrAOK
again, you have time to spend the day in kyoto. the direct train is like 75 minutes. and it's interesting. I wouldn't stay anywhere near the airport if you have the opportunity to get out
Some BUTs: The Haruka ends at Kyoto Station that, while interesting for us architecture enthusiasts, is in an area many in Kyoto consider not that far from a slum. Second, maybe this is just me but the thought of looking at widely dispersed sights with the minutes ticking away in my head is not really that appealing.

That said, I would skip most of the sightseeing, take a cab from the station to the kawaramachi/oike intersection ( Kyoto Okura Hotel ) and walk down pontocho for a while to soak in the atmosphere. Then head into one of the scenic Izakaya for a leisurely lunch without hassle and spend rest of my time in along the Kamo river banks looking at the beautiful mountain scenery.

The Haruka does get held up by other traffic and late at times so it's advisable to leave enough buffer if the OP decides to hop over to Kyoto.

On the other hand, you could have a scenic lunch at or near the airport as well. Did ask and waiting for recs.