FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational Upgrades, or “OpUps” on International Flights: The Definitive Thread
Old Feb 5, 2001, 9:58 am
GG

We also got operational upgrades SAN-LEX on Christmas Day when our original flight was cancelled. We might have been able to upgrade anyway - we were on K fares - but our friendly SAN CTO agent said, "I'm not taking any chances" and reclassified us to F, just in case of another cancellation. No worry about 72 hours out, no 800MSUs deducted, we got the F mileage bonus, in case of another cancellation, we'd show as F, etc. Not a big deal, but it did make our Christmas stay in SD a tad less worrisome and more pleasant.

LexPassenger also got an operational upgrade last Tuesday, CVG-SDF. Our SAN-CVG flight was late enough we couldn't make our original connection. CRC in SAN said there was only one open seat in F on the rebooked flight, and one of us had to be waitlisted. Who would do which? Well, LexPax has more 800 MSUs than I do, so he took the F seat.

Happily, I cleared the waitlist, so we didn't have to flip a coin to see who'd actually go up front. The next day, we discovered that the CRC agent had given him an operational upgrade, without telling us that's what was going on, but of course I'd had my 800MSU deducted, so now he's got even more ahead of me. It truly doesn't matter, but he's very conscientious about such things even when he's not really serious.