FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:32 pm
jkc22

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
A "consistently" good or top rated hotel does not mean service mishaps will not occur. I've encountered many service mishaps that should not have happened at a property that is trying to market itself as a "luxury" property at the top of the lodging industry.

I see comments about nice tubs and nice view, well that's the inherent qualities of the property and its location. While it does have a competitive advantage in all those regards (I'll even buy the comment about modern decor and furnishing, because I choose it over traditional furnishing). My experience at this hotel and at other Park Hyatts around the world gives me the impression that this is the disgrace of Park Hyatt properties. If anyone have ever stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo where I lived for 3 months, he/she would agree PH Chicago is several notches below and not worthy of the "Flagship" designation. PH Chicago is not even CLOSE to half of what PH Tokyo offers in service and attention, while charging about the same price. Of course we are talking about two different cities, but Tokyo is not a cheap city either, and contrary, one of the most expensive cities in the world.

What PH Chicago lacks is the software aspects - its personnel. It may have great location, nice hardware and facilities, the most important part of a "luxury" hotel, the personnel, is not there and up to par to support it to allow it to compete in the segment of market. Seriously, if the PH Chicago was in Tokyo, it'll be at the near bottom of the list among competition. Perhaps the reason that PH is rated the "best" in Chicago is because there's no better hotels there...that simply is analogous to saying it's the best car in the "economy" car class.....

I know I've said it before and I will continue to say.....PH hotels in the US are a joke! They are nothing but over furnished Regency properties that just got a "Park" name slapped on their front door. Rarely do I find "Park" properties in the US lives up to the "Park Hyatt" name, and PH Chicago is especially a disappointment, time after time. Perhaps I am expecting too much, but a recent stay at the Vancouver Hyatt (only a Regency) tells me otherwise. It's the quality of the personnel that makes all the difference. If you have a housekeeping staff walking by a guest in the corridors without even greeting the guest, what kind of uncivilized society do you think we live in, let alone in a "luxury" hotel trying to compete with the best hotels in the world????? ARE YOU LISTENING.... Mr. Segal?????

Last edited by jkc22; Dec 14, 2005 at 3:58 pm