FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 14, 2005, 1:28 pm
fanoftravel

Originally Posted by Brendan
What the heck is so special about the Park Hyatt that it commands >$400 buxanite when the Palmer HOuse can often be had for <$200 or The Drake in the $300s?
The Park Hyatt is in a completely different league than the Palmer House (based on my personal experience) or the Drake (from what I've heard). Although the Palmer House was fine, it's not comparable in terms of the rooms, furnishings, amenities, etc. I also thought the service was better at the Park Hyatt.

It all comes down to whether you want to pay that much more for the experience and what value you associate with the price. I used a couple of faster free night stays a couple of years ago and perhaps wouldn't have stayed there otherwise. I will say that the room at the Park Hyatt was one of the nicest (not including suites) that I've ever stayed in! I even liked it better than the rooms at the Montage in Laguna (that go for $700/night) where I recently stayed.

Our room at the Park Hyatt was very luxurious with modern, tasteful and sleek furnishings. The bathroom featured a soaking tub with shutters that opened so you could look out across to Water Tower Place (which is beautifully illuminated at night) while bathing. This is a flagship property for Hyatt, so I'm sure it's on par with the best of the Hyatts in the world (though I've not been lucky enough to stay at the Park Hyatts in Tokyo or Zurich yet).

My only disappointment was the restaurant. I thought the food was quite good, but it certainly was not great. I didn't find that the quality to be in line with the high prices on the menu. I don't mind spending money on good food when I travel. I just didn't find that the food lived up to the hype. Nevertheless, the restaurant itself and the views of the Water Tower Place were beautiful.

If you're wanting to stay at the best hotel in town, I've heard from friends that the Peninsula, the Ritz and the Four Seasons are perhaps worth more consideration, especially if polished service is the highest criteria. I was also very satisfied with my stay last summer at the Swissotel (though not nearly as impressed as I was with the Park Hyatt). However, I don't think you will be disappointed with the Park Hyatt. Enjoy your stay!