FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Chicago REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:36 am
jkc22

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Nice Hotel......TERRIBLE Personnel

Like many on this board said, it's one of the nicer domestic properties in the Hyatt chain......however, for the price point they are trying to compete in, the service is severely lacking....

A list of problems during my visit last month:

- Pre-blocked room on 17th floor (corner, tower view) mysteriously disapperaed into a low floor rear view room, even though calling the hotel and 1-800-check in confirmed me in that room and I have arranged my Diamond Amenity to be delivered at 6PM at my arrival.
- Due to room "change" the Amenity was of course no where to be found. A call at 6:30 to front desk and room service resulted in "Amenity will be ready in 45 minutes"....WELL....it's SUPPOSED TO BE IN MY ROOM AT 6PM!!! Reply...."Sorry Sir, it will be expedited..." so it came 25 minutes later.
- Sloppy housekeeping and wear and tear evident rooms - the pull out in the bed side tables are nice for water and book, but housekeeping seems to neglect the cleaning of those surfaces and are present with stains. Window seats have cushions that are losing thread...... at a $500/night property, these things should NOT happen.
- Elevator lighting fixtures are seldom cleaned.....they become "bug traps" it's visible that there are so many bug carcasses there..... disgusting!
- Valets that take 40 minutes to get a car, even with calling before leaving the room!
- Sunday newspaper (requested NY Times) was not delivered, even calling the night before to make sure the request was in my record.....
- Housekeeping staff that does not greet you when you pass by them in the hallways.....contrary this to the Hyatt Vancouver, where I was greeted BY NAME upon check in when housekeeping staff saw me in the hallways (no, I was not a regular guest there). Little things like this sets apart a great hotel from a wanna be "luxury" hotel...... Side note: since housekeeping staff have a manifest of in house guests, I'd expect them to greet the guests by name when they see a guest trying to open a particular room door.... simple enough, no? The Vancouver property seems to be doing quite well with this approach. Even a simple "good evening" would be the most minimum if a housekeeping staff encounters a guest in the hallways....no? This obviously wasn't in the PH Chicago staff's training.
- I changed the arrival time of my brunch by calling the NoMI restaurant, but the reservation I made on OpenTable was not touched. Even after telling the NoMI reservationist that I had an earlier reservation that needs to be changed or cancelled out of the OpenTable system, my reservation resulted in a "no show inquiry".....

This is just a partial list of things that happened during my stay. I checked out a day earlier.....simply ridiculous. At the current state, this hotel is a disgrace to the Park Hyatt name, and more so if it claims itself as the "Flagship Property" of Hyatt.

I'll be glad if someone from Hyatt CS could follow up with me on this stay. Simply NOT UP TO PAR with what I expect from a hotel trying to market under the Park Hyatt brand.... I won't even bother with the standard replies from management staff there.

Last edited by jkc22; Dec 14, 2005 at 11:47 am