FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you behave in another religion's place of worship?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:56 pm
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SJC1K
I'm truly surprised that rives21 feels that standing is more respectful than sitting when others are kneeling. I've always remained seated, scooting or leaning forward so as not to inconvenience anyone kneeling behind me, and I've been told by others that that's the appropriate thing to do. Standing is just much more visible and therefore, I would think, disruptive. I'd gladly stand instead if I understood that to be more acceptable, but I've never heard anyone else suggest that.
From what I've seen in Catholic worship, parishioners pray not only kneeling but also standing. They say the Lord's Prayer standing up and holding hands. I think they also say the Prayers of the People standing too. So perhaps that's why rives21 suggested standing.

In my parish of the Episcopal church, we do religious calisthenics it seems. Kneel to pray, sit to listen to the readings and sermon, stand to sing hymns and recite the creeds. Sometimes it's just too confusing for visitors so we are very accepting that we are told that we can't sit still.