FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet more TSA theft, can anyone help!!!!
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2005, 8:16 pm
bambi47

Programs: unemployment
Originally Posted by dedindahed
Hi all, new here, but noticed some TSA employees are on here,
Desperate for some kind of assistance seeing as e-mailing the TSA directly is either ignored or met with a standard issue e-mail which offers no help whatsoever.

Ok the story goes....

I'm from the UK and am spending some time over in the US on business.
Recently i flew from Seattle to Manchester England, Via Chicago.
There were several delays which resulted in me being stuck in chicago for 24 hours.
Upon returning home i discovered my laptop had been stolen from my hold bag.
In it's place was a nice TSA notice of inspection.
I have contacted both airports lost and found's with no success.
I'm currently working on a claim with the TSA but have hit several stumbling blocks, none of which the TSA seem prepared to help me with.

Firstly the claim form explicitly states that a single Time and Location must be
given,
As i did not have any access to my hold bag for over 30 hours, determining specifics is impossible.
Also i notice that after your claim is accepted you must provide a social security number, which as a UK resident i do not have!

The theft seems to be more than a simple opportunity grab as the powerpack, which was in a seperate compartment the the laptop has also been taken, not only that but the UK power cord attached to the power pack has been unplugged and placed back in the bag, this seems to indicate that whoever committed the theft had time and space to examine the contents.

Can anyone on this forum offer any advice?
I know this isn't going to help, but once your bag was checked in Seattle, the TSA wouldn't screen the bag again, because you didn't have access to it in between. While you were delayed, the airline had control of your bag. If the TSA employee that checked your bag put a notice in there that he was indeed in there, I doubt their the thief, and thats not because I'm TSA. It just makes sense that if your going to steal something, you don't leave a note. Also, I know here we don't have many flights that leave during the night, so the baggage area where bags are held is pretty deserted. Our baggage screeners leave after the last scheduled departing flight of the night. The airline employees are the only ones with access to that area after that. I'm sorry this happened, but I would bet on an airline employee.