FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carry on Limits
Thread: Carry on Limits
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2005, 1:34 pm
Oceanrider

Programs: AA EXP/2.5MM SPG
Carry on Limits

I have the opportunity to travel Swiss 2-3 times a year, usually on awards in C.

When not on an award I usually connect through AA on a codeshare. On these flights I generally fly AA in C and then Y on Swiss on a codeshare. Notwithstanding what AA tells me, Swiss insists on their own more restrictive limits on carry on on their continuing flights. I may not like it but must admit that even though the ticket says AA, the personnel and plane do say Swiss.

Still I cannot help but notice that many of the Y passengers on Swiss are allowed on with more than the one bag officially allowed while both my wife and I are repeatedly stopped for our single carry on bags which are in fact measured to be within Swiss allowable limits. On a return flight last week I suggested to my wife that we hand in our boarding passes separately to see what happens. Despite many others with multiple bags, we were both stopped with our single bags within a few feet of giving in our boarding passes. In my case I insisted I take this bag on Swiss regularly over the last ten years and they always let me board with it (we were boarding an A340). My wife however whose bag is within the measurement limits was stopped and pretty much humiliated with her bag being consigned to baggage rather than being allowed on the plane. This was a great inconvenience as we had no checked baggage going to ZRH and as a result we had to wait to retrieve the one carry on bag on arrival.

I note that the issue was never one of weight, merely size.

I am curious for your insights and experience on this. Do you think we are singled out for travelling on a codeshare? This was not raised at the ticketcounter and only arose AFTER we were returned our boarding passes.