FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Jul 25, 2000, 4:28 pm
jwhite4

Can I get an upgrade certificate as part of bump compensation?

Previously written about, but as background:
- was on a DL JFK-LAX flight
- flight was oversold, offered to be bumped
- was rebooked in BE class for next flight
- next flight was also overbooked, but girlfriend didn't want to offer this time, afraid of losing BE seats

Questions:
- What would have happened on rebooking for 3rd flight if we were bumped:
Would they have seen we were booked in BE, and try to put use there again?
Or, would they have sees original ticket (1st flight) was coach, and not worry too much if BE not available? 2nd ticket was rebooked (from what I've heard) incorrectly as J class (paying BE), vs V/Z (?), an upgrade.
- If we did go back down to coach, is there any extra compensation we could have asked for? I was thinking (after the fact) maybe an upgrade certificate, so that we could get back into BE (or F/C where applicable) on another flight.
If so, what exactly should I have asked for? Our BE upgrade would have been transcontinental. Since most other DL flights require a change of planes, I think I'd want something that would cover a multi-segment flight, not just an 800-1000 mile upgrade. Also, would prefer it to be on any fare, not a restricted set (our original tickets were $209RT webfare ones). Does such an upgrade exist?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff