FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Ride Report" - 2005 Toyota Avalon XLS
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:10 am
SpeedRicer

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm looking to buy, and avalon and lucerne are two of the top candidates. i sat in a lucerne at the auto show in boston this past weekend, but of course, i haven't driven one yet. i like to ride with the seat all the way back, and nicely reclined. in that position, i found the lucerne more comfortable than most caddys (the noteable exception being the deville i picked up at hertz immediately after). here's hoping hertz gets the lucerne! hertz gave me a buick lacrosse this week -- if i like the lucerne as much as i like the lacrosse, i might just have to buy one. (and i HATED the century, and just tolerated the lesabre...)

if you don't like the fake wood in the avalon xls, a step down to the avalon touring gets a pretty nifty brushed aluminum look. unfortunately, it only seems to come with black leather. the obnoxious trim configurations on both the avalon and the lucerne may push me to the hyundai azera. (another car i hope to see on a hertz lot soon!)

sorry for mentioning other cars in a ride report thread, but the comparisons are interesting.
Indeed -- the full-size class is definitely heating up with all of these new introductions. ^ The upcoming Kia Amanti replacement is also looking promising, being that it'll be more on the sporty side of the equation.

And while it's not entirely in the same class, I've been impressed with the new Passat as well.