FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peru - long and in parts (as requested)
View Single Post
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:04 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

We are organizing a trip on our own to Peru. You went to all the places we are headed, and a few more than us. It's great to read your account.

I particularly appreciated your account of the Nasca Lines, as I've been debating organized tours versus do it ourselves. I'm now convinced reading this that we can handle the DIY version, while saving a substantial amount of money.

Do you remember where you stayed in Puno? You mentioned it was a Best Western. Do you recommend it? The two high end hotels are the Liberatador and Sonesta; online reviews say they are were the tour groups stay. Reviews are highly disparaging of the Sonesta. We've booked El Buho at the moment which doesn't sound like any great shakes. Hopefully it is clean; it is inexpensive and in the center of town.

I see that you took a half day boat ride in Lake Titicaca, going to the floating reed island of Uros. We've heard from two local companies. Neither have offered a half day tour, rather offering a 1 or 2 day tour that includes Taquile Island. Do you feel that you missed out on anything by taking the half day tour?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 10, 2005 at 2:37 am