FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Call to FFOCUS and US FT board
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:48 am
Art234

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
FFOCUS and the new US Airways

Here we go again....why don't you both stop giving Bob a hard time and why don't we all work together to make the new US Airways a success? It appears that your issues are more personal than organizational.

FACT--FFOCUS has more than 300 members, ranging from US1 to US4. We are confident that our membership represents a cross section of US Airways customers.

FACT--contrary to what you may or may not believe, our issues are NOT solely of perks and taking up the cause of "whining" elites. Our issues are far more substantive, and the benefits obtained will benefit ALL customers, not just FFOCUS members.

Whether you like it or not, the company is more likely to listen to a group of 300 than they are an individual, even though it ALL helps. You are welcome to join us, and if you are not happy with the way the group is being run, why not try to join the policy board when an opening occurs?

We DO realize that change is in the wind, and we are realistic enough to see that we're not going to like all the changes. Some of the changes, however, are not competitive with other airlines, so before it forces us to look elsewhere, we bring it to their attention. In some cases they see our points and in other cases they don't.

Our issues with the previous management were not related to our membership being a bunch of "whining" elites. It was more of the fact that the previous management lied, we called them on it, they didn't like it, they got mad, took their ball and went home. I will not get into details here, but if you want more, email or PM me.

So here we are starting a new page with a new management who SEEMS to know what they're doing, and who appears to actually want to run a successful airline instead of line their own pockets. Why don't you give us a chance instead of deriding Bob all the time?

What are my issues? Read on:

1. RATIONAL fares. Notice not GO fares, but FAIR fairs. $600 for the shuttle is ridiculous. $250-$300 is not only fair, but very profitable. $1000 r/t LGA-CLT is outrageous, but $300-$400 is FAIR and profitable...You get the picture. The airline industry has to run like a business..it has to be able to make money. When costs go up, prices should go up, but it has to be fair to both parties. I don't think any of us want to be subsidizing the loser fares any more. Those who want to spend $99 to fly coast to coast are welcome to try WN or B6.

2. Reward customers for spending more, rather than penalizing them for spending less....it goes back to the founding of this group when we were the "cockroaches". DM tried to change over 3 years ago by denying Elite Qualification miles on all fares other than B or Y or higher. The outcry was overwhelming, and in less than 2 weeks they gave up on the change. DL reduced "EQM" accrual by 50% for discount fares, and eventually they had to change as well...although it took them a couple of years. By incentivizing the extra spend, they see incremental increases in revenue.

3. A COMPETITIVE product....You can't be all things to all people. If you are going to be a full service airline than be one. If you are going to be a true LCC then be one...do not nickel and dime your customers. The contrasts here would be UA on the full service side, and WN on the LCC side. We won't rant on little things, but you will note that some things have changed. The pretzel embargo lasted a month. The outcry against off shore res agents who don't understand English was deafening--the company is now beefing up the Preferred res staff, and is reconsidering the effectiveness of outsourcing the rest. This is positive change. Regarding the power outlets on the Airbus, they were surprised at the customer sentiment against getting rid of them--to the point that they are reconsidering.

Did we effect these changes by ourselves? Absolutely not. But one would like to think we were heard....

I think I have said enough for now. I think we all want the same thing...a secure and successful US Airways. I don't think you disagree with the message, just the way it's being delivered...

It ain't us against you, so let's not try to make it so.

Thanks