FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)
Old Oct 19, 2005, 8:26 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by johnep1
As my original outbound flights are no longer available for an award, would paying the change fee cancel the ticket and then start over (thus lose the outbound), or would it just change the return? I guess a smart thing to do with awards is to always book as many stopovers as allowed when making the original reservation. You could then always change that to a 2 hour stop, which would be easier than changing a 2 hour stop to a 2 day one.

I really just want to see another city, if even for a day (less than 24 hours since that would not be a stopover and would avoid the change fee). Since this is a partner award, it looks like my options from PRG are IST, MAD, DUB, LON, and HEL (the latter 3 sure would be fun in early January).

Does just adding segments (and no stopover) also require a change fee?

Thanks.
1. You can change the return segments without affecting the outbound segments.
2. Booking originally with stopovers that you may not use can obviate a subsequent change fee; however, you will be subjecting yourself to additional airport taxes. Depending upon the airport and class of service (e.g. LHR & FC), you could find yourself paying taxes exceeding the change fee.
3. Changing segments, carriers, routings and/or stopovers would subject you to a change fee.

I believe that JonNYC posted an excellent thread (sticky) with lots of this information, comprehensively presented. Definitely worth reading.