FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Has left Marriott] Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk [Master Thread]
Old Oct 18, 2005, 1:26 am
CaptainG

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Told I didn't have a room

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Surely you mean Nov 20th? (not a Thurs though)
I tried to book this place for a friend and was told they do not open till Nov 1st

mike
Mike, I did have (and still hold) a reservation for October 20th. But I won't be sleeping there!

The hotel is operating as a Sheraton. I recieved a very curt call from a number in the 813 area code. The caller identified themselves from the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk. I remember these words "The hotel will not honor your reservation. Please do not show up as the hotel will not have a room for you."
I asked "Why?"
The agents response, "Your not the only one, I have several people I have to call."
I asked if they were operating as a Sheraton and she said yes, but "We are not accepting any reservations made via spg.com." I asked if she had a recommendation for another property, to which she said "Some other hotel."
Plying for more information about wether I'd stay there in the future, I asked "What sort of treatment will be available for starwood preferred platinum guests," she brusquely said she didn't know if anything was being done and jumped back to her point;
"Do you understand that we don't have room for you? I have other people to call." I said yes. I checked with the platinum concierge recently and they still have me with a confirmed reservation. Obviously I'll stay somewhere (ANYWHERE) else. I don't want to hassle them over this, but I've never been called by a hotel and asked point blank if I understood that they didn't have a room for me. I wouldn't do this to one of my staff, let alone a customer. I assume that she was under some pressure to contact people, but I like staying at Sheraton's because they usually treat me with respect.
First indicator on this property tells me to stay away. Oh, right, they told me that themselves

I will contact Starwood customer service and let them know I have a reservation in their system that the hotel won't honor. I understand that they don't have to provide me a room since the website does list 1 November as their first day of operation. No harm done with the stay, but should I report the unconcerned and abrupt call or should I chalk that up to nascent Sheraton service?

Last edited by CaptainG; Oct 18, 2005 at 1:38 am