FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Big DO DOs - or A Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness
Old Oct 17, 2005, 6:40 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
NOUVELLE CALEDONIE

We had a couple of turns over the coastal hills coming into land on a very uneven runway (big dip) at Tontouta airport. Short walk in the morning warmth across the tarmac to the terminal. Immigration is quick and then its off to change some money. New Caledonia is as expensive as Tahiti and I’d heard horror stories of the taxi fares on the long drive into Noumea – so bus for us.

The drive is pleasant (bus is airconditioned) with nice scenery. Not as lush as I’d expected – more scrubby areas mixed with cultivated parts. Surprisingly the road climbs a small hill on the way in. I’m not sure why (perhaps due to other south pacific islands I’ve been to?) but I’d expected a trip along the coast. It takes about 40 minutes to reach the town, which is built on a peninsula with many picturesque bays and rolling hills.

Dropped off at hotel and check in. Then a quick stop at supermarket before a stroll over some hills and around the bays to find somewhere nice for a picnic. Along the way stop into the city market – lots of fresh fruit and veges but not much else. It got hot in the middle of the day, but a fresh breeze stopped it being excessive and helped to keep the humidity at bay. Much later, as the heat starts to subside and dusk rolls in, walk back into town. The main square, Place de Cocotiers, is humming. There’s a festival on at the moment and so live performers are keeping the small crowd well entertained with a mixture of traditional and pop, dance, song and of course Polynesian drums. Very nice way to spend the evening and it’s plenty warm enough even at night.

Didn’t get out of the town during the short stay, but plenty of walks in the sun, etc. Also visited the museum of New Caledonia. Transfer bus back to the airport – collected from hotel so no need to lug bags around.