FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Totally OT: Broadband Rant - cannot depend on it!!!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:00 am
flyclub

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by JSC
Actually there is a thing called local loop unbundling now whereby the ISP takes over ownership of your phone line from BT, so they provide voice, broadband and other VAS to you directly, bypassing BT completely. The 2 big ones who do this are Bulldog and Homechoice and because of this they are able to provide an 8MB connection (plus line rental) since they have installed their own newer, upgraded equipment in BT's exchanges. BT is in the process of trialling 8Mb but that won't be available until next year, and even then probably at highly inflated prices to protect their ARPUs. All of this depends on where you are as not all exchanges have been enabled for the higher speeds.
Very interesting - I didn't realise Bulldog, etc, had advanced that much to use LLU - sounds a much better option.

I will look into this asap as I am convinced they would look after 'their own' much better.

Thanks!

P.S: - Still not working at home.....