FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 6: Your views on OMNI
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2005, 9:32 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I seldom visit ONMI, let alone post there. But I do and have from time to time when bored. It is a curious spot in the Community that I would miss were it not there. At the same time I know there are many, including several running for FT Board, who post more on that forum than the travel/program related ones. That many of the technical problems experienced on FT come from the servicing of OMNI. That said, I certainly recognize the value of an agora on FT, where a frank exchange of views can take place on virtually any subject other than travel/programs. We all hold views on matters around us, and honest debate within any Community is healthy. Our common interest in travel does not always coincide with our other beliefs and views, however. That's what makes humankind: diversity in the midst of commonality. Unfortunately, we also know that OMNI breeds unhealthy behavior, and has led to more Suspensions and Time Outs from FT than posts on any other forum.

Those who participate in OMNI regularly pretty much know one another, and the tolerance levels of their fellow posters. As long as they keep their feelings from ONMI from spilling over into their posts on the travel/program related fora, I have no problem. Eliminating OMNI might on the surface appear to be a way to reduce rankor in the Community, but I think it would also cost FT some of the "life" that gets injected into it by this "black hole". At the same time, I believe anyone posting on OMNI should also have a healthy post record on other travel/program fora, and should not be disproportionately represented by their posts to OMNI.

Again, like Moderators and adding new fora, OMNI is one of those things that the FT Board needs to coninuously monitor and respond to accordingly.