FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kuwait for a young woman
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:41 pm
swoon

Visiting Kuwait

Being a local myself, its always interesting to read how people see us from an outsiders perspective! While most of the comments raised here seemed pretty reasonable, I do have a couple of comments to share from a local perspective if I may:

1) I sometimes get this odd feeling when some foreigners get a bit too overly wary when referring to the culture in our region (and in Kuwait in particular) for example about such things as" "do's and don'ts", ways to dress, manners etc. (it seems to me like those myths you somtiems find in many "visitor guidebooks") I have heard so much of these warnings, I can only imagine how visitors must think we must be a terribly complicated and uptight crowd! We really aren't that complicated, and overall I think people are much more laid back about these things than many outsiders may think :-)

2) Sure not all Kuwaitis are angels, everywhere in the world you will find good people and bad people, but some posts that seemed to imply that Kuwaiti males are more likely to be on the chauvinistic side seemed a little to harsh and unfair (at least to this Kuwaiti male!) There is nothing worse than stereotypes, and I think such things always get in the way of what could lead to menaingul interactions with people.

Anyhow, these are my two cents on this, I hope I didn't stray way too off-topic. Hope you enjoy your trip to Kuwait, even though it may not be the most exciting place in the world. But I hope it will be an opportunity for you to see a new culture and new perspective, so don't be afraid to interact with the locals just as you would if you were visiting any other part of the world, trust me we won't pouce on you and we don't bite ! :-)