FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roomette vs Bedroom - is it worth the upgrade?
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:18 pm
hasbt77fst

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, DL, US, CO
Sleepercoaches

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Yes, I think I may have meant Heritage. But I think the single/double slumbercoachs were in fact before they were called Heritage - maybe in the 70's and 80's. I took them between NYP and Florida.
About 1961, New York Central converted ten 22-roomette sleepers to 16 single and 10 double room "sleepercoaches". For instance, 10364 Dunkirk Harbor became (unnamed?) sleepercoach 10810. I was in that type of car for my first sleeper experience on the Wolverine from New York (GCT) to Detroit in 1962. B&O operated "slumbercoaches" with 24 single rooms and 8 double rooms built new in 1958-1959. I think Amtrak used the ex-B&O cars for the Florida service, but I'm not certain. I might be remembering the 16 Duplex Roomette/4 Double Bedroom cars built in 1954 and named for birds (Oriole, of course, Cardinal, etc.), although Amtrak may have called these "sleepercoaches". A few other sleepercoach-like services operated, too, I think, but not many. (Reference: "Car Names, Numbers, and Consists", Robert J. Wayner, Wayner Publications, 1972).