FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Roomette vs Bedroom - is it worth the upgrade?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:56 pm
GoAmtrak

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by the_traveler
I was referring to the old Amfleet roomettes. I know the Superliner roomettes do not have a private toilet in them.

Are the viewliner roomette toilets like the old single/double slumbercoach rooms?
Uhh... you mean Heritage? There have never been revenue Amfleet sleepers (though Amtrak's business car has bedrooms and is a converted Amfleet).

Slumbercoaches were before my time, but I have been in Heritage sleepers. The Viewliner roomette toilets are between one of the seats and the corridor, making that seat slightly narrower than the other. There's a fold-up sink above the toilet, much in the style of Heritage roomettes. There's also a small vanity, mirror, water spigot, hand towel and hanger, and electrical outlet. The top of the folded-down toilet doubles as a step into the top bunk.

Originally Posted by izzik
omg, coach is a pit.
In many cases, yes, but it sure beats Greyhound! It does get pretty bleak back there (visually and olfactorily) beyond the first day and if the load factor is high.