FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy with Credit Card, Return & Get Cash?
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:46 pm
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ScottC
Won't work for long. Stores nowadays are pretty much all connected to a returns authorization service, too many returns and you'll be red flagged. Why else do you think Homedepot, Target and many others want ID to do a return?
could be but I beg to differ as all my many legitimate purchases from HD are on my UAL visa and believe me when I say I have bought a good 5k and returned a good 2k in the past 3 months as a do it yourselfer!

example: buy some joint compound and a boat load of tape, priomer and sand paper, only to find out you do not need it all and can return the unopened tape, and paper... There's $30...

the next day: 20 2x4s at $2.50 each and I just needed 6 because I changed my plan or my neighbor had extra wood, etc. So returns happen again...

This goes on and I do return things there all the time. The charges and returns happen on my card all the time. I have not been flagged or anything.

So doing it unintentionally would not really be noticed, I think.
Now, mine are only small money but again, I have returned a ton of money. I was about to buy a gas fireplace from them but ended up building something else anyway. that would have been a $500 return right there.

Returns being done by a person depend on where you live in relation to the HD and the time you may have to do work, so anyone in home improvement mode knows all about over buying and how that is ok--especially since you CAN return to stores like these as long as you did not use something and you return it in a timely matter. Now adays they dont even need receipt! just the cc you used to buy it and your ID. The ID is for marketing purposes and to check that you are not some former shoplifter, a manager once told me.

MM