United:
199.20 USD per person
Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive Stops
1 United Airlines 804 Sep 15 10:00 pm IAD 11:32 pm BOS Non-stop

Independence Air:
Reg Fare $189.00 USD
Thu, 15 Sep 05
Flight 572
9:15 pm Depart Washington-Dulles, VA (IAD)
10:49 pm Arrive Boston, MA (BOS)

Just a sampling.
Seriously????
Code:
Quoted fares do not include the September 11th Security fee of up to $5 each way and any applicable Passenger Facility Charges (PFC’s) of up to $9 each way. Fares are also subject to the Federal Segment Tax of up to $3.20 per segment. A segment is defined as a takeoff and landing.
United displays fares inclusive of all those charges. Fare is exactly the same. Interesting, Southwest only wants $100.20 for a flight tonight BWI-BDL and $101.20 for BWI-PVD. Interesting.

You guys always seem to believe that because they are selling some fares at rock bottom prices that means that they do that continuously. In fact, they maintain a price advantage right up until the day of travel against United but they narrow the spread a great deal. They don't sell every last seat at a rock-bottom price.
As I pointed out, it is the same fare. UA matches most of their fares, they just allocate a lot less inventory to them. Additionally, FlyI's reported Q2 yield pretty much proves that they aren't selling many of those higher fares because their average passenger's fare doesn't even cover the cost of the seat.

Also, DH has policies and prices that appeal to last minute travellers as well as leisure travellers. The thing is: a change fee on DH is something like $35. On United, it's about $100. If you travel for business like I do, then which one would you choose if there was even the slightest chance that you might have to change your flight?
That is all well and good but is it making people fly DH? Are those people profitable? Obviously not!

A LOT of travellers on DH are finding out that they are more convenient from IAD for last minute travel and they are more flexible when it's necessary to change plans. I'm one of them. A BIG reason why I'm choosing them for travel to BOS is that they have a MUCH lower change penalty. I also get to leave from the B-gates at IAD (which I can walk to) than the G or C-gates. Another plus.
Again, that is all well and good, but why aren't they printing money then? Back to my original question: Please explain how FlyI has a shot at making it. You have stated that when UA and DH charge the same fare you will fly DH. There are other people like you. Apparantly, there are not enough for DH to even be CLOSE to breaking even. Are people going to wake up tomorrow and realize that UA sucks and they should fly DH? Please explain how FlyI has a shot at making it.