FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Travelers: Your opinion on who is the most well known American
Old Sep 13, 2005, 2:35 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Muhammed Ali? I know I've heard that somewhere, although he may have simply been the most well-known celebrity.

I would still think that the sitting President would be higher. Particularly Bush and Clinton because people tend to have strong opinions about them. When I have been abroad in the past 8 years or so, and have made spontaneous friends in pubs or whatever, we frequently ended up talking about the President. People wanted to know what I thought about Monica, or what I think about Bush's policies towards the environment or Iraq. People didn't always hate our President, but they were always interested in hearing what we (everyday American citizens) thought about him and how our media portrayed him. In contrast, I can't say that I've ever had a conversation about Muhammed Ali or Tiger Woods or a movie star with anyone.