FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does US wait until last minute for UGs?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 10:20 am
janeway

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
Why does US wait until last minute for UGs?

One of the few things that has annoyed me about US is how they can wait until I'm already seated to upgrade me. This used to happen to me fairly often as Gold, and now that I'm CP, it seems to still be happening.

Last week on a 30min flight, they came to me after I'd already sat down in the window seat w/2 others to my right, and said I'd been upgraded. I asked the two other people sitting next to me if they wanted the upgrade because for a 30min flight, it's almost not worth it to make everyone get up, move my bags, etc. Then after landing, I have to fight like a salmon swimming upstream to go back and get my overhead roll-on. Yes, I should consider myself lucky to get upgraded, but this is just annoying, and seems preventable. Also, it obviously slows down the departure time if they have to move people and their belongings (because it seems like they usually wait until right before the boarding door is closed).

I really do like US for the most part, much more than DL, and more than AA as well. But why can't they change their upgrade system to be more like DL, where they definitively can tell you if you will be uprgraded or not.

One other thing about the upgrading system that is annoying - the rules for "getting on a list" for an upgrade seem to be much more complicated and mysterious than for other airlines. Ie: If your upgrade doesn't clear prior to departure, you actually have to ask to be put on the upgrade list. Why wouldn't they automatically put you on the list, esp. if you've checked in online? I only complain about this because having recently flown on DL, it seems like their system (at least for upgrades) is much smoother and better for their customers.

Last edited by janeway; Sep 10, 2005 at 10:24 am