FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:23 am
eutow

Originally Posted by jupitermars
Just found this thread, and am curious whether Eutow tried Raja's or any of the other recommended tailors and can share his experience?

(From his various other posts in FT I'm confident he has impeccable taste!)
I have truly awful taste, but thanks for that anyway!

I found an excellent tailor, and made a point of getting his card. Of course, I am too disorganised to be able to locate it now.

His shop is on the ground floor of Oriental Plaza, behind the Oriental hotel. I cannot recall the shop's name, but if you find Cotton House (a ladies' tailor) and face it, turn to your right, and the tailor I went to is 2 or 3 shops further down the corridor on the same side as Cotton House. He has a lot of men's suiting and shirting fabrics visible from outside.

The gentleman in the shop was very professional and charming, and discussed the merits of various shirt fabrics, and how I wanted the shirts cut. He has an extensive range of fabrics, and was happy to show me them, along with some of the other shirts he is making for clients.

I had brought along a shirt that I wanted copied, although with some modifications. He understood the variations I wanted, and indeed gave some advice about them. We negotiated the price for 6 shirts (price varies depending on the choice of fabric - I cannot recall what I paid, but it was not cheap by Bangkok standards, although seemed good value to me), he measured me up, and I went back the next day for a fitting. He promised to send the shirts to the hotel by the end of the day, and they turned up on schedule.

They had been made extremely well. I have had the chance to wear them frequenly since, and they have worn very well. He also called me the morning after delivery to make sure that everything was to my liking, which was a nice touch.

If I need a tailor when I am next in Bangkok, I shall not hesitate to return to him. He had a lot of suit fabrics too, and I may be tempted to get a suit made in November. The prices are not as cheap as at many other places, but I found his understanding of the requirements and then execution to be excellent. Do please give him a try, and let us know how it goes!