FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BOA ATM card not working in Europe
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2005, 11:33 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
BOA ATM card not working in Europe

Mid August I was in Krakow and Prague. When I travel to Europe I usually don't take travellers checks but carry some cash and use ATM's. Usually in Europe I use an ATM card from a small local bank (Village Bank)in the Boston area that doesn't charge service fees. During this trip, my mind blanked on my pin and I tried to use my Bank of America (my main bank account). Let me add this was the first time I tried to use my BoA ATM card in Europe. In the past Mr. WMA has used his Fleet Bank ATM card and it worked fine. Boa took over Fleet last year.

Well the card wouldn't work. I tried several different ATM's and each one came back "Invalid Data". I even called the 800 number on the back of my card (Skype is a wonderful tool) and the agent said I needed to make sure there was a PLUS or VISA sticker on the ATM. I went back to the ATM and there was both a PLUS and VISA sticker on the machine. This happened the whole week. I finally called my home and asked my son to look up my pin so I could use my Village Bank card.

When I came back I spoke with BoA again. They said it had to be a system glitch at the time I tried using the card. They also told me that for security purposes I should call my branch before I go to Europe again and let them know I will be there and that my card isn't stolen.

Has anyone else with a BoA ATM card had this problem in Europe?