FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:13 pm
AX9465

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Westin Kuala Lumpur

Last weekend I stayed in Westin KL and I think I would like to give you heads up on the following:
Westin KL have 2 kinds of rooms: facing city center (twin tower view) and facing opposite direction (city view). twin tower view "obviously" being more expensive.

I had a reservation there for 2 nights from sep 2 to sep 4... didnt want to pay additional MYR 40 ($11) a night for an opportunity to see city center, I have booked myself in a room with "city view".
In the check-in I was upgraded to "twin tower" view and was told that it has "much better view"... Apparently what they don't tell you (neither on site nor at the check-in) is that together with the view at "spectacular KLCC Twin Towers" you also receive a view at huge construction site across the street from the hotel... construction noise could be heard more or less all the day long starting well before 9am.
Being waken up by construction activities on lovely saturday morning I went down to enquire why I was not informed about such deficiency of my room on the check-in and whether I shall consider moving to another room.
Check-in staff was apologetic and offered 750 starpoints as a compensation, but have also assured that exchange is not necessary as construction people do not work Sundays... Well, they lied.

I feel that 750 points is not a fair compensation for 2 disrupted mornings and obvious lies, so I will follow up directly with SPG... if Starwood Lurker is interested in more details he can PM me and I could even provide photo of "spectacular" view from my room.

Last note to consider: if one is afraid of heights this hotel could not be recommended for staying as there are no rooms lower than 15 floor and room windows spans entire wall from top to bottom.

Otherwise very nice hotel, a lot of dining options - local as well as European. In case someone would be missing European food while in Malaysia, Qba restaurant could be recommended for fine Spanish food.

AX