FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Travel With Children - Jet Lag Concerns Thread [Combined Threads]
Old Sep 1, 2005, 7:11 am
carltoncl

Toddler Jetlag and Hissy Fits

We got back on 8/26 from a trip to the east coast of Australia and settled back in to Cleveland (Cleveland is 14 hrs behind Australian east coast time). Our just-turned 2 y.o. is driving my wife nuts because the kid refuses to sleep in her crib anymore, totally out of whack and my wife is desperate for a few Zs.

Literally the day before we left Cleveland the kid would sleep peacefully in her crib, never complained at all - ever. She'd wake up at 7:30am, nap at 12pm for about 2 hrs, then bed at 8:30pm sleeping through the night, very good routine, rarely a problem.

Now she screams like a banshee when we put her to bed, she won't sleep in her crib at all, wakes up screaming in the middle of the night, just awful. The kid gets so tired she just falls asleep instead of helping herself go to sleep like she used to do.

Anyone gone through this before? I am just shocked at how this change occurred - literally - from one day to the next. On the way out to Australia we spent the night in LA and we made the mistake of putting her portable crib in a dark corner of the hotel. I am thinking that, combined with the unfamliar surroundings, the darkness and everything have made her scared of going to sleep. Anyone agree or could offer suggestions?

Is it safe to give melatonin in small amts to toddlers?

Please, any help much appreciated, we're going nuts.