FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any speculation on new routes?
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:54 pm
mallthus

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Less Frequency on RJ Routes & PIT/CLT

My guess is that we'll see decreased frequency on a lot of RJ routes, rather than a contraction of destinations.

My home airport is Santa Barbara (SBA) and there's 6 departures a day right now (4 PHX and 2 LAS). Most of these are on CRJ900s and they're seldom full. Back when there were 2 less departures a day and the planes were mostly CRJ200s, it was serious sardine time on every flight.

All of that said, RJs make a lot of sense at SBA (and other similar airports like BFL, SBP, MRY) for a couple of reasons:
  • They're too far (more than 100 miles) from "big" airports to make driving to one a viable option based on cost or time.
  • Their isolation decreases competition and thus makes both companies and individuals willing to pay more than might otherwise.

Frankly, on the PIT issue, I think we might see PIT or CLT reborn as a night hub, like LAS. It makes less sense, but it allows them to serve a range of destinations at, with better fleet utilization, lower prices thus appealing to a less schedule driven leisure traveler.