FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Annoying fees
Thread: Annoying fees
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2005, 10:06 am
TMOliver

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Angry

Originally Posted by cltwbb
Does anybody else think it's irritating that a full service luxury hotel (like a Four Seasons) would charge for thing like internet access? To me, that is a standard that most hotels that cater to business travellers should provide. I think it's ridiculous to get charged for that at a super high-end hotel. Thoughts?
I mind the access charge somewhat less than some of the other gratuitous fiscal insults received in "upscale" hotels.... At least I don't have to pay it, there being other ways to check email.

"Chickensh*t Service & Charges"

Add-on "maid" charges.....(I usually tip maids, especially Mexican and Central Americans with who I exchange courtesies in passing). For a hotel to add a charge is extortionate at best.

Taxes calculated based on F&B or RS charges plus added gratuities (basic larceny).

TV service with only a handful of channels, especially systems with limited news, sports, market activity, etc. (and luxury hotels can be the worst offenders, figuring folks really don't use the room much).

Bath towels sized for anorexic dwarfs - I don't really use robes often, but do prefer a bath towel of consequence and substance.

Ice buckets in which the ice melts faster than if strewn on the floor, coffee carafes which cool coffee faster than setting in in front of the AC, servers who have never heard of and can't prepare "iced coffee".

Bottled water with a price tag, especially "$4.95" or the like.

Unpalatable orange juice and second rate coffee in the morning.

PET PEEVE #1

.....It's midnight. After a day of delayed flights, I've arrived at the hotel, tired and a bit stressed, checked in to a room priced at $250+ (not as much due to "luxury" as to location), needing no Bellman for my single Rollaboard and gotten my key to Room 797, no more than 1/2 mile - mostly level - from the elevator, I find that the damn key doesn't work.

No fool, I pull out my trusty cell and call the hotel (on the number writ right there on the little envelope into which my key had been placed). After the front desk finally begins to comprehend that I am already in the hotel, standing at the end of a desolate hallway miles from civilization and refreshment, and that (CAPS for intensity) "MY KEY DOESN'T WORK!", the response is inevitably, be it the Motel 6 or the Molto Pomposo Grandioso Albergo: "Come on down to the desk and we'll make you a new one."

Folks, for that much room rent and after that much trouble, those sorry sad sacks need to send someone with a new key at a dead run.

Many years ago, during college, I worked as a Bellman and as a Bartender at various times. Some of the vast store of knowledge imparted to me included the gem that the customer may not always be right, but is entitled to the belief that he/she is, especially when he/she is paying lots for it. I resent luxury hotels (or even "good" hotels) which seem to spend little effort imparting that knowledge to their employees.

TMO