FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:39 pm
utwes

Originally Posted by gleff
Seriously?
Yeah, I hate to give you details knowing that you just went (somehow ended up on a trip report of yours today, too, ironically), so I'd understand if you just skipped this post, but here goes:

Was this booked on the phone with Starwood?
I had some SPG50 certs from a co-worker that I'd been holding onto for some time (no exp date). For our honeymoon my wife and I decided to hit FP. Planning for the honeymoon was around this time last year for a date in late April. I saw that the SPG50's excluded Hawaii only (according to the T&C), so I called the number on the back of the cert and got sent to a Luxury Collection reservations line. The guy there was VERY helpful - actually suggesting that I reserve all possible days that I might go (still jumbling flights/etc), so I ended up holding 14 days at the SPG50 rate. Over the next week I finally got flights (quite a premium from CO/AF for Bus Class on a 3-class 747 - 150k/ea from LAX-PPT - you can't even get me from AUS for 300k miles???) and solidified my dates. I ended up compressing my reservation at BBN to 4 days, and added the 3 days at Sheraton Moorea w/ the SPG50 - also talking to a different rep over the phone (I think this was a Gold rep). Over the course of the next 6 months, I could see the reservations on spg.com, with the rate and the notice reflecting that I'm using a SPG50 award. Called right before my trip to book the Sheraton Tahiti (wedding plans had swamped me) via the Gold number again and asked about using a SPG50 there, too, but he told me that I could get a "SPG rate" there for cheaper - I didn't argue and booked it.

Regardless, at least three different reps acknowledged that I could use it (without any "I need to speak w/ my supervisor" runaround at all). I could see it being used over the phone and on spg.com. I made the reservations probably Sept/Oct 2004 and traveled Apr/May 2005. When I arrived at the BBN, the rep took my SPG50 cert on the boat ride over as she checked me in, so I know it was above board there as well.

At least that's what I recall from Starwood Lurker's explanation in the past.)
Hey, this is by no means me saying that Starwood Lurker's explanation is wrong - I may have been a beneficiary of dumb luck, but all in all, I'd rather be lucky than good.

What does it hurt to try next time you go? You should be able to monitor the fact that you have a room the entire time.

Wes