FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - old Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol {NLD} (hotel closed)
Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:37 am
Travel The World

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
AMS Airport Hilton - trip report

I was there for a business trip for a couple of days this week, coincidentally with a long standing booking to go there this weekend with the Mrs (that has now been cancelled thanks to the militants at BA !!! )

I have now stayed at both Hiltons in Amsterdam, the one being closer to the city centre being the better hotel, however it's not close enough to make it a no brainer as it's easy and cheap to get in to the city centre from Schiphol airport.

The airport hotel is, well, it's OK. The rooms, even exec floor rooms, are small (as in the other hotel). The club room is deserted (the other one's very good). No seperate check-in for exec-floor. Gym is small. Breakfast though is in the main restaurant and of course complimentary for a Diamond (this in contrast to the "city-centre" Hilton where breakfast is served in the club room).

When I reschedule the trip back to Amsterdam with the Mrs, I'll go for the airport hotel, purely based on it's better transport links.

One other thing worth commenting on is the Internet connectivity at the hotel ... Eu20 per day, or Eu7.50 per hour. WLAN is available in the club room and public areas, although through a service provider that I've never heard of. And I couldn't use my BT Openzone account.
Next door though, at the Sheraton, they have a T-Mobile hotspot so I could log on there and use my BT Openzone account, while eating in their bar/cafe.
And then chat with the Mrs using IM and even check out her new hair stype using our web-cam.