FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which is the nicest USAirways Club?
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:29 am
AZ Travels the World
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ISP
Think there is any chance the LAX club with reopen in T-1 at LAX now that US/HP have hooked up? Wasn't there discussion that HP wanted it when it was a stand alone airline?
There were rumblings about that last year, but at the time, HP was focusing heavily on their non-stop transcons ex-LAX. They've since all but aborted on that strategy. Plus, I was never convinced the rumblings were actually coming from within the higher ranks of HP. There was a lot of wishful thinking going on by enthusiasts like us (especially those of us who have spent more time than we care to remember sitting -- or, more likely, standing -- in that dreadful bus terminal), but I never heard any evidence to suggest that HP execs were all that spun up about the idea. Perhaps they were thinking that it might be a good option if their LAX transcon routes took off like they had hoped, but of course that didn't happen.

A big club-related question for me in the upcoming merger relates to Parker's recent comment to analysts along the lines that US has cost reduction opportunities in reducing services specific to business travelers at the airports themselves. While what I read didn't specifically quote him as referring to "airport clubs," it's hard to imagine what else he would be talking about.

HP only has clubs at their two hubs -- PHX and LAS. I wonder what they'll do with the US clubs. I won't be surprised if they're whittled down considerably. If so, which ones are likely to stay and which are likely to go?