FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speeding Ticket help in BC
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:58 am
taupo

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Cattle, I don't think you will get any points on your license as your DL is issued by AB and the offence is in BC.

The speed does not have to be on the ticket. The ticket will likely state the section and sub section of the MVA (Motor Vehicle Act) that you violated.

If the member was HP (Highway Patrol), s/he will be in court. Traffic court gets scheduled once a month or so, all the traffic offences (non criminal code) get heard at the same session, that way the members can schedule time to be at court. If you were stopped by a GD (General Duty) member, their is a good likelyhood of them not being in traffic court, they will forget or be busy watching paint dry instead, that is how interested a lot are in traffic stuff.

I am assuming you were stopped by a HP member, you can usually tell on the ticket. Close to the bottom, it will have the members Reg #, their name (quite often illegible) and it may say ........ Traffic Services/Highway Patrol.

Personally, I would just mail the BC Govt a cheque and not worry about it. Here is another issue than can and has happened. The member lowered the fine on the ticket. This can be raised in traffic court back to the original amount. If the member made a mistake in filling out the ticket, they can easily give you a new one correctly filled out, then you have to make another trip to BC to try and fight it again.

Just pay it.