FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speeding Ticket help in BC
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:30 pm
Abby

OK, my source says:

Speed info is not necessary, the lack of this will not invalidate a ticket.

The lack of info on registered owner may or may not be an issue (normally it would at least say 'as above' if you are the registered owner). The officer's supervisor (sergeant or whatever) should be reviewing all tickets, he or she would have the option to advise the issuing officer that the ticket was improperly completed and tell them to cancel it. So, sometimes best to wait and see....

The second review would be at the court level if you dispute. The court can also determine the ticket has been improperly completed.They can also hear the circumstances (your first ticket in 18 years, good driving record, only speeding to overtake a slow-moving vehicle while a passing lane was available, etc) and agree to reduce or cancel the fine.

There are some changes planned in such tickets by the Solictor General's office, because police spend too much valuable time in court for small tickets. And of course, many people know they will not show up for some traffic tickets when busy or on vacation, etc. The plan is to allow you to dispute by mail and/or with an adjudicator or JP, simplifying the process and this would not require you to travel back to Williams Lake. A call to the local traffic court at the courthouse would give you some info on whether this process is being implemented in the Williams Lake region or not.

Basically, I am told you should wait until you are advised by mail that your ticket is outstanding (if you wish to dispute it). They should advise what options of dispute are open to you at that point. If they implement the new system, you should be able to respond by mail and outline the circumstances of your dispute, rather than having to travel back to the issuing court's jurisdiction (and it no longer would matter whether the issuing officer is present or not).

If the ticket stands:

You will get demerit points assessed for the speeding ticket.

The demerit points will not affect your insurance at this point at all. You have to accumulate more than 3 in one year before it affects insurance, I think it is 5 points. And if you dispute the ticket, you can also dispute any increase in insurance premiums. (But I don't think this will be an issue for you.) Give ICBC a call or check their web site for more details (are you based in BC and using ICBC?).

And as airbus320 said, Williams Lake should be cattle country. But of course they are not used to flying bovines. Even if you do less of that than you used to! You probably just took them by surprise.

But taupo may have further suggestions or info....???

Last edited by Abby; Aug 10, 2005 at 8:37 pm