FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWS: The Overall Northwest To File Chpt 11 Thread
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:43 am
SDF_Traveler

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by clifh2
If NW files Chapter 11, I assume that my miles will be lost -- True?

Also, if I were to purchase an award ticket for a future flight, would the ticket still be valid after a Chapter 11 filing?

Finally, if I use the WorldPerk miles for tickets on Delta and NW goes under, will the ticket still be valid?
Chapter 11 is a business re-organization; as a customer, it'll be business as usual like it is on United, US Airways, and Hawaiian, all three which are currently in Chapter 11.

Your miles will be fine and any award tickets you have issued will be fine.

FWIW, the FF program is actually a revenue generator for the airline. Look at all of the businesses (partners) NWA is hooked up with - they all pay NWA to purchase miles for their customers. The US Bank WorldPerks Credit and Debit cards are also generate income for NWA. One may view the outstanding FF miles as a "liability", but lots of mileage doesn't end up being used and it's all paid for one way or another. Additionally, inventory is limited when it comes to FF mile redemption and changes based on the yield management of specific flights.

Northwest cannot afford to drop their FF program, period.

Earn your miles, book your awards, and don't worry.

SDF_Traveler