FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:42 am
POH

Programs: *Wood Gold, MP, SM, M&M, DM, HH Gold [Revoked], PC Gold, WP
compensation for bumping mother-in-law????

My mother-in-law who is visiting the US from Europe and speaks about 3 words of English was supposed to fly from BDL - CVG - DEN yesterday. She says that she arrived at the airport more than an hour early. About the time the plane was supposed to leave however, she called saying that she was instead in a motel near BDL and was rescheduled for the same route today.

On the phone she had calmed down, but at the airport she said that she had been extremely nervous as she didn't understand anything that was happening to her. Apparently she was given the option to fly from BDL - CVG yesterday and then overnight in a motel there, but since she doesn't know anyone in Cinci and didn't understand that Delta was going to pay for the motel she elected to stay in BDL.

Does anyone know whether Delta has a compensation policy for bumping people? It doesn't appear she was given any compensation for being bumped and I am wondering if she was 'picked on' specifically because she doesn't speak any English and wouldn't know to ask for it.

I called Delta last night to find out about getting her a voucher or something, but was told that my mother-in-law would need to bring it up with the agent at BDL this morning. This, of course, is not possible due to her lack of English. When she arrives in DEN this afternoon, we'll go to an agent there.

Any ideas about getting her compensation (a voucher, etc.), or is it too late?