FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More Upgrade Woes
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:01 am
enviroian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
So many of you remember my thread from four months ago when I was denied an upgrade on a PHX-LAS flight in favor of a uniformed captain who took the last F seat. The experiance came close to repeating itself this weekend and I shall tell you the tail.

I arrived at the airport for the 6:16 PM PHX-LAS (HP 341) flight as part of my PHX-LAS-SMF trip and I knew full well First was sold out. Even so I used the machine to put myself on the upgrade list. Once at the gate I was told First was full to board with coach even though I was second on the list. Sitting with me in the exit row was another person on the upgrade list. About five minutes to departure time we noticed there were two empty seats in First Class and we mentioned this to the flight attendant. She went up to the gate agent who decided he wanted an on time departure and put two standbys there. Ironically we didn't have an on time departure. This irks me, two Elites denied upgrades, who do I have to bribe to get an upgrade on a PHX-LAS segment?

An added comment I want to make here is that on Sunday I called HP to see if my upgrade had cleared and was told that there was space and I was put into 1A. This is the fifth upgrade I've had this year, only one has cleared automatically online when there was space. However, at the airport the next day, I noticed a Gold head up to the service counter and ask if First had checked in full. He was told it had and to board with his coach seat. Now, as much as I enjoyed my First Class seat, I had no right to be in it over him, I was a bit miffed I'd stolen a Gold's seat due to the faulty upgrade system.
They put two standby passengers waiting in the gate area into first class? Could it have been these two pax where not only elites, but gold or plat, thus the reason they snagged it and not you?

Either way I agree it's very frustrating this year. It should be interesting to see what happens once the merger's frequent flier programs are merged/update/etc.