FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Xian REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 7/1/11
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:54 pm
LAXGUY

HR Xian Report

I stayed at this property last week and can second the generally excellent recommendations it has received on this board. I have a few comments that may be helpful for those considering a trip to Xian.
Xian is a walled city with the ancient city walls still intact (restored, and worth a visit while you are there--you can rent a bike and ride atop the length of the walls if you wish). However unlike many European walled cities with which you may be familiar, Xian's walled section is quite large (nearly 10 miles in circumference!). Thus, even if the HR wasn't reputed to be the best hotel in town it would be worth staying there for the location as it is the only elite property "inside the walls." From any hotel outside the walls it is way too far to walk to the sights of the old city.
As for the HR--if you are not eligble for an automatic upgrade (I am not) you still can book an RC room on the Hyatt web site for only a little more than the price of a regular room. Our room last week was $129 including tax and service for a room on the Club floor with all the amenities. The breakfast alone is worth it. Also, during afternoon drinks the lounge is frequented by expats who live in the hotel during their business stints in Xian. The hotel maintains a dozen or so apartments for this purpose; the expats are a great source of info about the city.
Finally, if you have the time by all means don't just visit the terracotta warriors while you're there. Xian is worth an additional full day as it is a very interesting city including a large Muslim population. The Muslim quarter/market street (near the Drum Tower--ask for directions as it's tricky) is something one expects to find in the Middle East rather than in China. The Shaanxi History Museum is first rate, some say the best museum in China, and contains excellent English descriptions of every item it displays. Xian was the ancient capital of China long before Beijing and retains a sense of its history much more than Beijing or Shanghai IMHO.