FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:05 am
CloudsBelow

Orchid - KONA, my 2 cents

Great reviews here ... I was there for 7 days both in Feb '04 and Feb '05. Kona is great - it's on the "sunshine" coast, not sure why ayone would fly for 11 hours to be on the "cloudy/rainy" coast.
What I loved:
1. Size of room - had exec suites both times, one garden view, one ocean view. 1,100 sq feet is incredible!
2. Golf - I love golf. Played both courses a few times and would recommend the "lava" course. Think it's the south course? It hugs the coast and there are some beauty sights.
3. Sunsets - grab a couple of drinks and watch the sun drop. Of 15 nights there, only 3 clear sunsets though. If it's clear, drop all plans and relax witht a view!
4. Pool - the pool is the perfect temp! I could not get out of it!
5. Kona's not crowded. A few days after arriving in '04, I said to myself, "I need to get back here before this place gets more crowded" When I returned a year later, there was a significant increase in people. good for the city, bad for the tourists / locals.

Recommendation - Get the direct flight!!!! The hassle in HNL is brutal. Especially for the honeymooner. Drop a little extra ca$h and use DEN, SEA, LAX, ORD, or YVR nonstop to KOA.

Have fun, it's very hard not to.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Jul 22, 2005 at 11:07 am