FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:48 am
luxury

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
That is exactly right gleff. The things that have really struck me about places like Le Bernadin and Taillevent have been the complete customer service. Le Bernardin was probably the first restaurant of that class I had been in. We had some desert wine left at the end of dinner and as the maitre de was walking by I asked if we could maybe have some blue cheese to go with it. It wasnt on the menu but I figured they must have it. He nodded so imperceptably I wasnt sure he heard or understood and then continued walking towards the kitchen. Seconds after he entered, someone came out with plates for our table, then very shortly later some really good roquefort and bread. We later asked what time they were closing since we noticed it was late and he told us they had closed the front door an hour ago but the staff were there with all of the guests as long as they wanted to stay.

Likewise at Taillevent on numerous occassions they have offered to change something on the menu or combine things. On one occassion after reciting the deserts and seeing we were having a hard time deciding, the maitre de asked if I liked chocolate. When I replied yes (enthusiastically) he said he would have them prepare a sampler of all of their chocolate based deserts for me. I really expect that kind of service. In fact I demand it at those prices.
I echo your sentiments. Le Bernardin is in a league of its own, like Taillevent, and keeps getting better after each visit. A couple weeks ago I went to Gordon Ramsay's Royal Hospital Road for lunch with my Mum and we were not too impressed. Definitely not 3 star calibre. Shortly thereafter, in Paris we went to L'Angle du Faubourg (1 macaron), Taillevent and Le Cinq. L'Angle du Faubourg blew the socks off of Ramsay's and Taillevent and Le Cinq were simply sublime. My Mum, an virtually impossible to please woman, adores Taillevent and asked when we were returning!!

It is a pity about Vongerichten how the quality of food has slipped. I am alarmed to hear rumblings that Boulud is heading the same way. Of course, this seems de rigeur for most multi Michelin starred chefs, like Gordon Ramsay and Alain Ducasse.