FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wearing jewelry in China
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:44 pm
Rothsix

Programs: AA Plat + 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle.
Sorry Dawei, someone always gets offended. It was certainly not the intention.

My wife is Chinese and I am a full blown Gweilo. Her parents came to Canada from Hong Kong in the 70s and I think my MIL still thinks that China is as she remembers it. She tends to go on with the worrying as well (you should have heard what she said when I took my wife to New York).

My purpose was to get a bit of ammunition to provide my MIL to try to get her to worry (and fear-monger) less. This I think several of you have provided, and I am very grateful. She is a very nice lady, and I love her a lot, she just has a way of starting the panic off on the right foot. The kidney thing was one of her prior concerns.....

PTravel, thanks for the comments, and I fully expect that you will be right. I am a rather large ex-cop and I do not find myself afraid very often. There have been instances in several US cities where I thought I might be in for some trouble (Charlestown comes to mind immediately). I am trying to convince my wife that we should move over there somewhere and this is somewhat of an exploratory expedition.

Thanks everyone. At least I can tell my wife to go ahead and wear her ring.
Rothsix