FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wearing jewelry in China
View Single Post
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:07 am
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rothsix
I feal silly asking this as I cannot imagine actually worrying about it, but my wife has heard that she should not wear her wedding/engagement ring in China because someone might cut off her finger to steal it. Is this a common occurance (its no hope diamond)?
Slightly less common then it is in the U.S.

or is this more fear mongering from her mother? We'll only be in Beijing and Shanghai and don't plan on going to any remote villages or anything (unless I can get a great deal for one of my kidneys) .
I'll be interested to see your post when you return from your trip. Shanghai, in particular, is an incredibly modern city with infrastructure, architecture and facilities that surpass virtually all western cities that I can think of. You'll find the people in both cities prosperous and law-abiding. Shanghainese sometimes have a bit of an attitude -- they are justifiably proud of their cities and, like New Yorkers, think of there home as the center of the universe.

BTW, feel free to go to remote villages. Particularly around Shanghai there are some wonderful well-preserved ancient towns. We liked Tong Li, near Shanghai. I wouldn't exactly call it remote, but it's a preserved, medieval Chinese town (as well as a world historic site) that's wonderful to visit (though a bit touristy -- the Chinese like to visit it, too).

Paranoid?
Rothsix
Yes. Also racist and xenophobic (your mother-in-law, not you).