FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:27 pm
chipster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf [Master Thread]

Stayed there last wednesday night for one night. Took Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf then DLR to West India Quay station. Hotel is adjacent to the station, but no signs pointing to the main hotel entrance. Ended up going through Curves restaurant with my case. Main entrance turns out to be on the other side of the building. Very good condition as you would expect from an almost new hotel, very bright smart decor, and attentive service at check-in. Hi-rise tower hotel.

First room I was given turned out to have a connecting door to the next room which was occupied. After a previous bad experience with connecting doors at the Regents Park M**riot I won't use these rooms any more so I went back the reception and asked for an alternative, which was given without question. The second room was fine, clean etc. High speed internet did not function - message came up about not all rooms having access to high speed just yet and to contact the concierge. Didn't bother. Then I noticed a regular rumbling sound that was quite loud every 3 or 4 minutes, and look out of the window to see that my room was adjacent to the platform of the docklands light railway. THe trains went on rumbling past until about 0045 and started again at about 0530. I could have had a lie-in until 0800 if I had wanted, but no chance! Breakfast was OK, usual Marriott breakfast, good service. They don't give you a pot of coffee to pour yourself like in some Marriotts, but refill you if and when they see you need it, which I don't like. As is common with most London Marriotts, the online price does NOT include VAT and breakfast in the government rate, whereas at most others outside London, breakfast and VAT are included in the rate. It is worth checking this when booking in London. I recommend that if you are a light sleeper, do not go for any rooms below 5th floor with numbers *73 to *79, otherwise you will become very familiar with the timetable of the docklands light rail system and you will not get much of a view anyway. Could have been a really nice stay and the staff were very helpful, but the railway running right along one side of the hotel is a really negative factor.
Chipster

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 2, 2006 at 1:08 pm Reason: typo in title