FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:14 pm
USAFAN

Originally Posted by Paula_Miller
I found the French Laundry disappointing:

- No wine pairings are offered
- When I requested a glass of Champagne the sommelier did not identify what he was pouring, let alone offer me a choice
- The salmon tartare my husband ordered came to the table still partially frozen...on purpose, it was explained, because otherwise it couldn't hold its presentation
- Diners are expected to order each of their multi courses at the beginning of the meal...no exceptions, not even for dessert!
- I won't even mention the torture of getting a reservation

While in most cases my complaints could be considered petty I think a restaurant that presents itself as perfection should deliver on it. Plus the service people all whisper when speaking to the table...a little too precious for me.
Paula_Miller:
I wouldn't call your complaints petty. O.K., wouldn't care, if they don't offer wine pairings ... but all other complains are valid. I wouldn't expect such mishaps in a first class restaurant. You should send Thomas Keller a letter with your complaints, copy to Ruth Reichl

Last edited by USAFAN; Jul 2, 2005 at 12:17 pm Reason: Added copy to Ruth Reichl