FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From Cuzco to Machu Picchu. Options.
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:13 pm
tharris

Programs: NW plat
Well, in my opinion, the Vistadome was very nice. Small meals both ways in a comfortable, fairly new car. I am sure the Bingham is even better, but the Vistadome was almost what I expected the Bingham to be like. I would not hesitate to take it again, even for a special trip like a honeymoon. It was very similar to a low priced airline flight. I would much prefer to find ways to put the extra money in the pocket of locals (who really need it) rather than Peru Rail.

When you return you can take the train all of the way back to Cuzco or get off early and take a bus for the last leg. The bus only costs a few dollars at most and saves something like 1/2 hour. Some tour packages include the bus for a fee that can be 10X what you can buy the bus ticket for at the station. We stayed on the train the entire way. There were only 2 other people in our car and this wound up being a very special part of the trip. We returned to CUZ at night and it was great to be able to see (and photograph) the city at night. I would have paid extra to STAY on the train.

Terri