FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Ride Report" - 2005 Ford Five Hundred / Mercury Montego
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:38 am
chemist661
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Better than Taurus, I'll take the Impala any day!!

I reserved a midsize car for 2 days & just returned at LAX. My name wasn't on the board so I went inside. My choices were a SUV & Buick Century. I get Century alot so I wanted to drive something different. The counter agent came up with Ford 500. I took it.

We went up to Vegas & back. My g/f complained that the seat wasn't comfortable. She had to sit on stuff so her back wouldn't hurt. She went with me over Memorial Day weekend in the Buick Century & the seats were comfortable to her.

Gas mileage was about 26.5 mpg for 90% freeway driving & 10% city. I averaged 70-75 with the A/C on. My mpg was 26-27 for the GM that has a V-8 & is a larger/heavier car.

The 500 is greatly improved over the Taurus. Much better gas mileage, better acceleration & more room. The ride was somewhat bumpy & not as good as a Toyota Camry.

I drove 679 miles on this rental.

Bottom line: Would I rent this car again? If I didn't need to drive very far. (under 200 miles). I would take the Impala any day!!! Better gas mileage, better acceleration, better ride & a joy to drive. (for me anyway).